dimanche 27 octobre 2013

THe Secret Life Of Bees, de Sue Monk Kidd

Dans le cadre du Challenge Read in english, j'ai lu The secret Life of Bees de Sue Monk Kidd.


Quatrième de couverture
: Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted black "stand-in mother", Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina - a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story that woman will share and pass on their daughters for years to come.

I read a lot of reviews about this book on the internet, so when i saw it, the english version of it, in the library of my town, I immediately borrowed it.

I liked the story a lot, and the fact that it was in english. I always thought books ought to be better in the language they were originally written in. Plus, I hadn't read an english book in quiet a while, and I started to miss it.

It took me quiet a long time to read this short book, approximatively 2 weeks, but I didn't spend much time reading it since I had a lot of work. But it also might be due to the fact that the story is kind of slow sometimes, not much happens.

The narrator is Lily, a young girl (I think around 14 years old, may be a bit more or less) whose mother died when she was still a young child, and grew up with a father that didn't show a lot of signs of love. The day her "stand-in mother/domestic" gets arrested, she busts her out of jail and they leave their town to find a home somewhere unexpected.
The 3 sisters they find in Tiburon are very different from one another, but sweet in their own way. We watch Lily grow and learn things that are difficult to accept, and try to deal with them. There are sometimes hard moments, but all in all, it's a good book that can make you smile, because of Lily's ways.

I had a good time reading it, but I don't think I would recommend it to someone, because nothing makes it really special to me. Even though I enjoyed reading it.

Et voilà, ma première chronique en anglais :) J'ai trouvé que pour un livre lu en cette langue, cela s'imposait ! Mais je ne sais pas encore si je renouvellerais l'expérience pour chaque livre que je lirais en anglais !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire